I could hardly wait to find out what our December Challenge would be for the Daring Bakers. Christmas is my favourite time of year, and I am all for putting in the effort for a great holiday dessert, so I was geared up for a complicated, long recipe that would turn out some fabulous feast. However I was shocked when it was announced: The Challenge this Month is - a French Yule Log!
Huh?
There is more than one kind of yule log? Something other than the rolled-up, larger than life Ho-Ho we generally call a yule log here in the States? Oh yes, there is! This is more like an ice cream cake, with layers of goodness surrounded by a mousse covered in chocolate. Our challenge, hosted by Hilda of Saffron and Blueberry and Marion of Il en Faut Peu Pour Etre Hereux, needed to have six elements: a dacquoise layer, a mousse layer, a creme brulee layer, a praline crisp layer, a ganache layer, and an icing layer. That was a little intimidating to say the least! But when you broke it down into the individual elements, it wasn't so bad. All the elements are assembled with the icing topping it all off, so when you cut into it there is a really nice effect. This being my first attempt at a yule log I decided to keep it simple - a chocolate hazelnut dacquoise, chocolate mousse, dark chocolate ganache, a cinnamon creme brulee, and used Special K in the praline crisp. It was topped off with a Cinnamon chocolate icing.
I have mentioned before that I do not own a food processor, a stand mixer, or even a hand mixer. Even now that I am living at my parents I often do not use their hand mixer or food processor - if it was fine for my grams without one, it would be fine for me was my thinking. Well... lets say that I have altered my opinion on this one! Mom's handmixer was the same one she received as a wedding present in 1969. For 39 years it did the job (that gives you a sense of how often mom bakes). Earlier in the month I burned out the motor making Christmas cookies for my sister's cookie swap so I knew I needed to go at this one on my own. After making the dacquoise layer and attempting the mousse my arm gave out and I gave up... and ran to Target for a new mixer. The eggs just wouldn't beat enough with my limited arm strength and I had to start over. I also had some trouble with the creme brulee setting even though it baked for a LONG time. Finally that was frozen knowing it was less than scrumptious but ready to move on. I have a feeling it might be better the next time I try making this, now that I am familiar with all the steps. The basic recipe for a French-style yule log by Flore of Florilege Gourmand is translated splendidly here.
During Assembly: Putting it all together in the metal pipe of some sort that Dad spent two days sourcing. (Completely DIY - note the duct tape to protect my fingers from the jagged edges! He didn't want to spend the $14.95 to buy the PVC pipe, I knew I could never tell him the mold from Sur La Table was $41.00! After everything was in the pipe I trimmed the edges so there would be every element in every slice.
The layers looking pretty! Boy was this rich, next time I think a little lightening up is in order, or a little more creativity on my part.
New Year's Resolution - to put more time and thought into these challenges, including the presentation. I am so inspired by the work of my fellow DBers I look forwards to stepping things up a bit!
Happy New Year all,
Amy


41 comments:
Very pretty! You did a great job...glad you got a log shaped "pan!" :-)
Tell your dad that evey baker needs a good supply of pvc pipes!! It has become quite a badge of honor in my house to DIY most of the pricey molds out there! Maybe I need to put my hubbs on tv for "Pvc Baking 101"!!
Glad to see that determination paid off and that the log worked out great!
A very pretty log! Great job!
Cheers,
Rosa
I like your yule log!
Great job on your challenge and choc/cinnamon sounds delicious.
Wow! you must have some arm muscles to do all that by hand! Excellent job!
Ah yes, the PVC pan. If we hadn't been moving around and moving in this whole month I might have asked the hubs to do that for me, but as it was I just used a loaf pan. Well done on the challenge and kudos for being so determined in true DB spirit. Happy New Year!
I love your homemade mold, my hubby and I were discussing this last night. I want the $41.00 one too! But I guess PVC or metal sheeting will have to do for now also! Bravo on completing the challenge almost by HAND!
Happy Holidays!
Great job on the challenge. I'm impressed that you were giving it a go without an appliance! Your log looks beautiful!
I agree that the cake was really rich, but it sure was delicious! Congrats on a lovely looking yule-log!
i can't even begin to imagine doing this w/o a mixer! Glad you purchased one.
J'ai hésité à utiliser ma feuille de rhodoid, mais le moule n'était pas adapté.
Beau boulot :) merci pour les voeux, bonne fin d'année et bonne future année 2009, on se retrouve sur le forum ;)
Wow, well done especially on beating it all by hand! That makes it so much harder and more tiring. Your log looks great Amy! :D
What CAN'T duct tape do? I love how you constructed your mold! :)
Pretty pretty layers!!! And cinnamon and chocolate sounds so gooooooood!
Your log looks great and I love the flavor combination. I did not think of using that technique to form a more log like shape. Great challenge and Happy New Year.
Nice job getting the log shape. The cinnamon chocolate icing sounds really good!
Oh very nice mold! And the log is very pretty!
Good job on your Yule Log and I love the addition of cinnamon with chocolate. You're dad is a gem to help you out with the homemade mold.
Oh, I think you did a great job of presentation! And bravo for "dad" for building you the mold. I just used a bread pan, and it wasn't nearly as nice as your nice half-cylinder one! Good work!
I liked your decoration of leaves and cranberries! Very ingenious model too!
Great job and creativity. And I am so glad you broke down and got a mixer it just makes life that much sweeter!
A beautiful cake Amy! Great 'pan', too. It really was a complicated challenge...love your combination of the cinnamon with chocolate for flavors...and the decorations are pretty! Glad you purchased the mixer, too...too much beating for any arm.
Happy New Year to you and your family!
Love the story about the old mixer. I can relate -- I received my hand mixer for Christmas, of 1970. I've used it for all of those years and it's still going strong. Looks like I need to find a half-pipe baking utensil somewhere.
Your log looks very nice. That's a lot of work that you put your arms to.:)
Lucky you had your Dad to put the mold together.
Best wishes for the festive season and a Happy New Year.
Now that's totally daring - attempting the dessert with just a handmixer. Good for you!!! I hope you enjoy your new mixer and put it to good use with more DB challenges. Looking forward to seeing what you make.
That was very inventive to get that yule log shape! It looks wonderful!
You have great support from your family - I never thought of a piping.
A rolled up Ho Ho - rofl!
Nice picture with the berries.
If duct tape is used on the Space Shuttle and keeps the ISS afloat, it sure comes in handy for that old DB Challenge. :)
Presentation is highly overrated. The bottom line is that it tastes good. Plus, your yule log looks super. Well done.
Love the DIY Pan! Nice Job!
Wow, you are a true daring baker. Great job!
What a great idea, I will try to make one like yours!!
your log looks amazing!!
Happy new year dear!!
Wish you all the best!
Ok, chocolate coma? I'm totally with you on that one. And how awesome is your DIY mold? Very impressive, fab job! Love the cinnamon too :)
Cool yule!
Happy New Year!
you did a great job, your log looks really pretty
Wonderful job! Love the flavours you used for your log.
Well done and very pretty.
Congrats on the new mixer!
Love the pan, and the duct tape.
Your log came out so good! I love the little cherries. So cute =)
I'm glad your dad was able to help out with your mold.
Good memories. =)
Haha! I LOVE that your dad found you a metal pipe to make yours in. Sounds like my dad... too bad I spent xmas at the future inlaws instead!! It looks great, I like the berries :o)
Post a Comment