Nothing like waiting to the last minute to complete a challenge, no? This is beginning to be a bad habit...
I mean, when our recipe is Shuna Fish Lydon (from Eggbeater) 's signature Caramel Cake, one would think I would have made this right away. I LOVE caramel, love love love it. Caramel candies, caramel cupcakes, caramel ice cream... I could have kissed Dolores from Culinary Curiosity, Alex (Brownie from Blondie and Brownie), and Jenny of Foray into Food for choosing such a great challenge. Pumpkin Caramel cupcakes anyone? or maybe Caramel Apple Cinnamon Cake? I would bake and serve as our dessert for Thanksgiving!
But then mom came home and told us she bought a pumpkin cheesecake from a pieshop to remain nameless (Cough! MarieCallendars! Cough!) so we would not need any other dessert. What to do? I had waited until the end of the month to get this done and now we wouldn't NEED cake? Who needs cake? You have cake just because YOU CAN. So guess what mom is having for her birthday cake on Sunday... Shuna Fish Lydon's Caramel cake.
Don't tell me you don't need cake...
The scrumptious recipe for Shuna's Caramel Cake is located here.
So how did it turn out? I have to wait for the "official" tasting, can't have a big bite out ofa birthday cake a few days early, but each individual part was tasty. I first made the caramel syrup. It took a lot longer than I though it would to turn an amber color.
I wish I had let it cook up a bit more but I was afraid I would burn the batch. It ended up looking a lot more like honey than caramel. But the taste was great!
Then I made the cake itself. Easy Peasy. Well, I accidentally added double the amount of butter I was supposed to, so I made a double batch of batter instead. It was just the right amount for the gigantic Bundt pan I found in mom's cupboard. It did almost overflow when it rose but in the end it was a great looking cake.
But here is where I hit the wall - Caramel buttercream. So I used the recipe more like a guideline than a recipe...big deal, right?...everything was in there! But somewhere along the way I added way too much powdered sugar, and then way too much cream, and when it was all done I couldn't get the frosting to stay on the cake. So I did what any self respecting amysing baker would do - I heaped it on in a big glob. If I can't make it pretty then at least I can cover up all the imperfections long enough to take the picture, which is what I did. Look close and you can see the buttercream is beginning to separate right on the cake. And the caramel drizzle is on there, I swear, it is just so light it blends in with the rest of the goopy buttercream.
It was a good challenge. I might actually make this one again soon. I still have an hankering for pumpkin caramel cupcakes!


32 comments:
I bet your cake was delicious!! - I love using pan forms too :)
I bet your mom will love it. Its such a good cake!
Great choice of pan! And the idea of pumpkin + caramel sounds tasty to me!
Ooo, your cake looks awesome, Great pan!!
Happy birthday to your mom! You did such a great job with this challenge and I hope she loves her cake!
You have more restraint than my husband and I. I made it to take to our Bible study, but after I took the pictures we decided they wouldn't mind if a couple pieces were missing! It looks really lovely, great shape.
It looks great! I think I'll try it in a bundt pan next time
Nice looking cake. Great idea using the bundt pan! That frosting proved to be a little bothersome for me too... lol!
Everyone will love the cake, and wonder why you didn't make it earlier! Keep practicing with the caramel.
Love the bundt pan with the frosting. Hope you mom has a great birthday and enjoys your cake.
LOL I loved reading your post! I've had a share of separating buttercreams too ^_^
I like the bundt! It turned out looking great in the end. I hope your mom likes it :)
Love the pan - great job! :)
Thatis too funny! I've globbed a few cakes in my time but luckily you can eat the evidence.
sorry you had buttercream issues..thats never any fun. However that NEVER affects the taste..YUM..Despite any prolems you encountered..it looks divine!!
Your cake looks great. Pumpkin caramel yummy
nothing wrong with more cake :)
looks great and I love the hole in the middle. Happy birthday to you MUM and happpy holidays to you and your ken. Thanks for the comments on my blog.
Oooh, pumpkin and caramel sounds good! Your cake looks good.
Your cake looks delicious! I like the idea of using a decorative pan.
Late or not, your cake is very nice. Cool shape!
I love the idea of making this recipe as a bundt cake. And great save with the batter--I've definitely done things like that before. Not to mention finishing a DB challenge at the very last minute... =)
pumpkin caramel does sound good. I really toyed with doing a bundt with this one.
Marie Callendars? Oh Dear. Your Mom will soon change her mind. Lovely bundt!
A pumpkin cheesecake? Where is the variety in that?
Happy Birthday mom! Got milk?
caramel pandoro ! whaow ! I love your pan !!!!!
It was really tasty, wasn't it?
Great job on the cake - I love that, when told that cake was not needed, you made a double batch!
Such a pretty cake...bet your Mom was pleased!
This looks great as a bundt! Plus, I'm sure pumpkin would be delicious with all of that caramel.
Love all the different shapes people have done and yours look great.
I love you cake!! I looks wonderful!! thanks for stopping bye!!
Looks yummy!
Post a Comment