Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Daring Bakers October Challenge: Pizza! Pizza!

I didn't know Sherry Cermak from What Did You Eat?, I joined the Daring Bakers for the July challenge just before she died.  However it is evident that she has touched so many in our little community.   Sherry was supposed to host this month's challenge, along with Glenna of A Fridge Full of Food and Rosa of Rosa's Yummy Yums, and just nine days before her death had shared her idea for her challenge choice.  Rosa decided to honor that choice and submit Peter Reinhart's Napoletana Pizza Dough recipe for the DBers as a tribute to Sher.  So in October, we were all baking our pizzas like "real pizzaiolos!"

The only restrictions were - we had to use both a sauce and toppings on our final pizza... and... well... we were supposed to take a picture of us tossing the pizza dough.  Right.  That didn't happen.  But I did borrow a camera so I could show you these lovely picks.  Click here for Peter Reinhart's Napoletana Pizza Dough recipe.  Don't be scared that it requires two days to complete - really it is only 15 minutes on day one and a few minutes on day two.





My dough on day 2.  This is when I realised that the yeast I used was old and the dough ball was EXACTLY the same size as it was when I put it in the fridge.  But it still tasted great!



A bit blurry, but that is because I was so excited to get all the toppings onto this baby!  Yes, I know it said that 3 or 4 toppings including the cheese were plenty, but if I am making pizza, it HAS to have extra cheese.  Two kinds.  And I had to have the turkey bacon.  And the onions.  And the broccoli to make me think that this was going to be healthy.  If I had mushrooms in my pitiful fridge they'd have gone on too, so there Peter Reinhart!




The finished product!  Not so bad for a first time, ja?

I found this to be a really fun challenge, and it was so easy I don't think I will ever buy pre-made pizza or pizza dough again.  I'm already contemplating my next pie... white sauce, blue cheese, carmelized onions, and maybe apples or pears... hmmm.

6 comments:

Lesley said...

Looks very tasty! Nice job on this challenge!

Elle said...

That is one gorgeous pizza! Was it difficult to eat with all the toppings...I mean hard to handle, 'cuz I know it was tasty.

Libby said...

I love your over the top approach to toppings! I'm definitely going to try the turkey bacon broccoli combo. Libby

Amy said...

Elle -

It actually wasn't hard to eat, after all the cheese melted down and the bacon shriveled up I was left with a fairly flat pie. But the crust was not very crisp, more chewy than anything, so I still had to do a "fold-over". It was more like a pizza burrito!

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Nice pizza! Love the idea of turkey bacon on there...next time! ;)

Anonymous said...

Your pizza looks great, well done!