As I mentioned earlier, I am moving, and trying to eat everything out of the fridge so it doesn't have to be transported or thrown out. Yeah, that was the plan. Did I succeed? Not so much.
I ran out of food. A week early.
I know, for most people this would not be an issue, but for little old me all by myself it is hard to guesstimate these things. I usually end up with way too MUCH food. Recipes are generally made for four or more, and who wants to eat the same thing for lunch and dinner for three days so none of it goes to waste? Freezing is usually an option, but despite my last posting about brownies I try to make sure I am eating fresh, organic, locally sourced food. Freezing negates the fresh part.
Though I am sure I could stand to miss a few meals, I also need to keep my energy up for the marathon last minute packing job I am going to be doing on Wednesday night. I broke my rule about fresh organic local and walked myself into the closest Vons to buy some frozen dinners. They come on their own plate (no dishes to wash or unpack) and I know ahead of time how many I need, just count the days and there you have it. I braced myself for the horrific choices I would have to make and decided I would just buy whatever was on sale. I know! So wrong of me but if I am buying frozen dinners what difference does it make, right?
Wrong.
Just by accident I found the Eating Right" store brand. Sure, its not great, but it is far better than many frozen dinners out there. I just purposely did not look at the ingredients label to see all the preservatives. And they have great options, like this one, "Butternut Squash Ravioli". When it is microwaved it looks exactly like it does on the box with the great colors from the veggies, which I found to be crisp unlike the soggy mess you usually find in a frozen dinner.
Who knew?


No comments:
Post a Comment