Sunday, October 26, 2008

When only Cocoa will do...

I am in the middle of packing and moving (long story) so I have been trying to use up everything in my fridge before I head out next weekend.  So what happens when you have a hunkering for some chocolate, all you have is cocoa powder, and can't run to the store?  After you curse yourself for insisting no cheap chocolate enters your house - if you are going to have chocolate make it the good stuff! - you do the next best thing, you make Alton Brown's Cocoa Brownies.

Alton has never done me wrong, and this was no exception.  They were somewhat cakey yet still gooey in the middle.  And easy?  Oh yes.  This one found a home in my recipe box.  Seriously, grab yourself an ice-cold glass of milk and be ready for the rich chocolately goodness.  I warn you though, this recipe was meant to be followed to the "T".   Use kosher salt, not table salt.  Make sure the sugar is sifted not packed.  It really makes the difference in the way it all comes together.

Alton Brown's Cocoa Brownies

soft butter, for greasing the pan
flour, for dusting the buttered pan
4 large eggs
1 c sugar, sifted
1 c brown sugar, sifted
8 oz melted butter
1 1/4 c cocoa, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 c flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 300*F.  Buter and flour an 8-inch square pan (This is the only substitution I made - I used a 9-inch round pan.  It was fine.)  In a mixer willed with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow.  Add both sugars.  Add remaining ingredients and mix to combine.

Pour the batter into the greased and floured pan and bake for 45 minutes.  Check for doneness with the tried and true toothpick method: a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan should come out clean.  When its done, remove to a rack to cool.  Resist the temptation to cut it until its mostly cool.  (Mostly cool is a subjective term, isn't it?  But the longer you wait the more it stays together.  Its good as crumbs but even better as a real brownie.)

No comments: